This year our class has been learning to write using a broad range of genres from persuasive texts, recounts and information reports right through to narratives. Quite often the editing of their work has been left to me the teacher and whilst I have taught these skills earlier this year and always encouraged the students to edit their own work before they hand it up to me, they have always done this with limited success and appeared to be making the same mistakes over and over again.
Recently I decided to ask my class to finish writing a story. I recounted to the class a holiday experience my family had enjoyed a few years ago when we visited New Zealand. While the basis of the story was true I must admit I did embellish the story to hook them in. You can read more about this lesson on our class blog.
When I sat down to look at what they had written, I was delighted by how they had used their imagination to finish my story. However, I noticed that even though I had asked them to edit their writing before they gave it to me they were still experiencing limited success. I decided I needed to be more explicit in teaching these self editing skills.
I then typed up each student’s story exactly how they had given it to me, including every punctuation and spelling mistake. The next lesson I told the students what I had done and explained to them that we were going to edit their writing together but that we were going to look at each step of self editing separately. The first thing we did was look at punctuation. I gave a mini lesson on the use of capital letters, quotation marks and fullstops and then asked them to reread their writing correcting only the capital letters, quotation marks and full stops. They were surprised at how many they had missed!
The next lesson we repeated the activity but this time we looked at spelling mistakes. I must point out that students had, prior to this lesson, circled any words they thought they had spelt wrong. This time, however, I gave them a highlighter and asked them to highlight any words they spelt wrong. Once again they were amazed at how many they had missed.
During our final lesson, I once again did a mini lesson on words we could use instead of said that might match the spoken text in their writing better. Students were then given time to check their own writing and make any changes if needed.
By the end of the week the students had edited their work with much more success and were more confident in identifying areas that they needed to improve in their writing. One student commented to me that he thought it was much easier to see his mistakes when the story was typed up than it was when it was in his own writing. An interesting point.
After we had finished, the students and I created a poster about self editing which they can now refer to as a guide to remind them of what they need to do next time they are self editing their own work.
I was delighted to see the students using this in their next writing lesson and they are now editing their work with much more success.